Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Friday's Dr.'s Appointments

Hi everyone,

We had two appointments on Friday. The first was with the radioligist to see if she would be able to receive radiation and the second was with the Oncologist (basically her primary doctor through all of this). The radioligist has refused to do radiation on Sandy, he thinks it's too dangerous due to the radiation she received 12 years ago. The Oncologist wants to start Sandy on chemo and refuses to give up on the chance that she can get radiation also. He's a good doctor! I'm making phone calls and trying to find medical records that would explain in detail exactly what kind of radiation Sandy received the first time. After the doctor has those in his hands, he'll make a decision on whether she can receive more radiation or not. Sandy's continuing to get stronger. We do physical therapy exercises for both her brain and her body every day. Her balance is getting better, she took a couple of steps by herself yesterday! Thanks again for everyone's support and I will be posting again soon with more updates.

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to let you know that a second site is being made to help people make donations for Sandy.

    We are selling all things that didn't sell at the art show + anything else people wanted to donate... We are selling them on Etsy and all proceeds [minus shipping] go to Sandy. It's taking a while to set up, we have to get pictures of everything and people have said they would get us pictures... But the website is

    TheVampireQueen.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tawda, for those like me who are clueless, what is the difference between chemo and radiation? Is radiation more effective than chemo? The one doc feels she's already had too much radiation? It stays in the body that long? Would the chemo alone be sufficient?

    I have rehearsal til midnight on Wed, but I'm going to come eat and see gorgeous Sandy from 5-6. I've missed her! Do I need to print out the flyer in color or would b/w be ok? I'll bring her wig! :-)

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they always try to do radiation first because with radiation they're able to aim it right in the part of the body where it's needed and leave the rest of the body alone. With chemo, it goes through the entire body even though it's only needed in a certain part. Yes, I'm not sure how it works but cells that have been radiated no matter how long ago are permanently damaged. The doctor feels with radiation and chemo together it will just make it all go away quicker than just having chemo alone. We're still not sure if she'll be getting radiation but it'll be definitely one or the other, radiation and chemo or just chemo by its self. I'm glad you can make it on Wed. A black and white flyer is fine. We'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know about TheVampireQueen.etsy.com. Let me know when it's ready and I'll post a blog for it.

    ReplyDelete